Tuesday 6 October 2009

How important are the colours you use in your brand?

Does colour matter in a brand and how important is the colour to the sales of the product? When I think about Carlsberg the first thought I have is green followed by their slogan "Probably the best lager in the world". I think their advertising is superb! But why choose green? I have done considerable research into the reason why Carlsberg would have chosen this colour. And i have two theories! The first is that the origin of Jacobsen the founder of Carlsberg came from Jutland. This is a beautiful totally green landscape where grass and trees stretch as far as the eye can see. The second is more of an allegory - Green signifies growth and abundance and the tie between beer and hops and nature could have influenced their decision to choose green.



The brand of Dove reminds me of smooth skin and naked women because that is what I have seen on TV advertising. The colours they have used are blue and white and again blue is calming and evidently one of the most popular universal colours. In 2008 Pantone choose the colour Blue Iris (PANTONE 18-3943) as its colour of the year!





I thought of Coco Cola and it reminded me of the colour red! Which actually on a side note is interesting considering my blog about colours and moods and how red is a very dominant colour which is a stimulant and increases the blood pressure! So did Coca Cola think about that when they developed their brand?

No comments:

Post a Comment